By Madeline Manoukian
Routledge is proud to be re-issuing this landmark sequence in organization with the foreign African Institute. The sequence, released among 1950 and 1977, brings jointly a wealth of formerly un-co-ordinated fabric at the ethnic groupings and social stipulations of African peoples.
Concise, severe and (for its time) exact, the Ethnographic Survey contains sections as follows:
- Physical Environment
- Linguistic Data
- History & Traditions of Origin
- Cultural positive aspects: faith, Witchcraft, start, Initiation, Burial
- Social & Political association: Kinship, Marriage, Inheritance, Slavery, Land Tenure, war & Justice
- Economy & Trade
- Domestic Architecture
Each of the 50 volumes can be available for purchase separately, and those are prepared into nearby sub-groups: East imperative Africa, North-Eastern Africa, Southern Africa, West principal Africa, Western Africa, and critical Africa Belgian Congo.
The volumes are supplemented with maps, on hand to view on routledge.com or to be had as a pdf from the publishers.
Read or Download Akan and Ga-Adangme Peoples: Western Africa Part I: Volume 31 (Ethnographic Survey of Africa) PDF
Similar anthropology books
This booklet explores the effect of migration at the identities, values, worldviews, and social positions of migrant girls in modern China in line with unique fieldwork in addition to in-depth learn in a number of areas of China. Contributor:Arianne M. Gaetano; Binbin Lou, Zhenzhen Zheng, Rachel Connelly, Kenneth D.
A lot orthodox monetary idea is predicated on assumptions that are handled as self-evident: provide and insist are considered as self sufficient entities, the person is believed to be a rational agent who is aware his pursuits and the way to make judgements resembling them, and so forth. yet one has in simple terms to ascertain an monetary transaction heavily, as Pierre Bourdieu does the following for the trading of homes, to work out that those summary assumptions can't clarify what occurs in fact.
Society defined introduces scholars to key suggestions in sociology via enticing narrative examples. After an outline of the historical past of sociology, the ebook walks readers via topics that come with individualism; tradition; socialization and mind's eye; values, cash, and politics; marriage and kin; non secular variety; and schooling and social switch.
How might our knowing of museums swap if we used the classic instant Museum or the Museum of Witchcraft as examples – instead of the British Museum or the Louvre? even if there are literally thousands of small, self sustaining, single-subject museums within the united kingdom, Europe and North the US, the sector of museum reports continues to be concentrated virtually completely on significant associations.
- Caring Democracy: Markets, Equality, and Justice
- Place and Spirit in Taiwan: Tudi Gong in the Stories, Strategies and Memories of Everyday Life
- Acting in Anaesthesia: Ethnographic Encounters with Patients, Practitioners and Medical Technologies (Learning in Doing: Social, Cognitive and Computational Perspectives)
- The International Political Sociology of Security: Rethinking Theory and Practice (New International Relations)
- Evolving Human Nutrition (Cambridge Studies in Biological and Evolutionary Anthropology)
Extra resources for Akan and Ga-Adangme Peoples: Western Africa Part I: Volume 31 (Ethnographic Survey of Africa)
Akan and Ga-Adangme Peoples: Western Africa Part I: Volume 31 (Ethnographic Survey of Africa) by Madeline Manoukian